CAIRO:�The Egyptian archaeological mission working at the Shiha
Fort site in the Aswan Governorate has discovered the remnants of a
Roman fort, including part of a church from the early Coptic
period, and a temple from the Ptolemaic dynasty.
Mostafa Waziri, secretary-general of the Supreme Council of
Antiquities, said the mission discovered a group of architectural
elements of the Ptolemaic temple inside the fort as well as an
incomplete sandstone panel, with pictures of the model of the
temple entrance, a man in the form of a Roman emperor, and four
sandstone blocks engraved with palm leaves.
The mission also found a clay vase and part of a red-brick vault
dating back to the Coptic era.
â€œThe mission has completed the work of uncovering the remains
of the monastery and the church, and there are indications they
were built on the ruins of a fort. German archaeologist Hermann
Junker was able to uncover part of it between 1920 and 1922. That
mission revealed the extension of the remnants of a mud-brick wall
surrounding the Shiha church from the western side,â€ Mohamed
Abdel-Badi, head of the Central Department of Antiquities of Upper
During excavations, Abdel-Badi expected to find the remains of a
marina. â€œThe area was a quarry for cutting stones during the
Ptolemaic period and, naturally, there was a marina that was used
to transport these stones to build forts and temples,â€ he
He explained that work is still underway to uncover the remains
of the fort.
Archaeologists find bust of Roman emperor in Egypt dig in Aswan
Source: FS – All – Interesting – News
Egyptian mission finds remains of Roman fort in